Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Halloween Fun

Halloween lasted over a week at our house. Starting with a costume party my friend Beckie throws every year. Dressing up puts us way out of our comfort zone, and we don't enjoy it. So after thinking about it for over 2 weeks the day of the party I was able to throw together costumes for us. Thanks to a quick trip to the thrift store and a $5 shirt at Walmart. I thought they turned out pretty ingenious and we didn't feel too ridiculous.


If you cant tell we are Clark Kent and Lois Lane, my costume is all about the props. I have a camera and notice my daily planet press pass.

I used to love Halloween and would spend hours making costumes, but the more kids I have the more tired I am. This year they were very kind to me and we recycled alot the things we already had.


Nicole was a dark fairy, (thanks Aunt Lisa and Aunt Sarah for the tu-tu!)


Haley was a ballerina, (old ballet costume of mine, nothing a few safety pins couldn't fix.)


Arthur was a mummy, (a sheet I ripped, tea died and glued to old clothes)


Chad was a skeleton, (the only costume I bought)
Natalie was a fairy / butterfly / ballerina / it changed by the minute, (thanks again Aunts Lisa and Sarah.)


Then we had our annual Trunk or Treat at the church. I was so excited that Halloween was on a Friday and was hoping that they would have the trunk of treat on Halloween night, then I would only have to dress my kids once. Trunk of Treat, then hit the neighborhoods. No such luck! Our activities committee went all out, we had about 10 room in the church decorated and filled with little carnival games, cake walks, face painting, and my friend Beckie even brought her animals.....goats, pigs, turtle, and snake for a little petting zoo. The kids brought home loads of candy. But on the upside I didn't have to buy trick or treat candy because we just recycled the trunk or treat candy.

For family night we carved pumpkins. The older kids carved and the babies colored theirs. Me and Stoney helped them trace and dig out but the kids did the rest themselves. They turned out pretty nice.


We served dinner in a pumpkin and decorated sugar cookies. And of course watched "Its the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown." That is a favorite of Stoney's, he loves the holidays and keeps us all young.


Halloween night we hit the streets, well only two streets for the babies and then I took them home to hand out candy for the trick or treaters. And while the babies weren't looking I dumped out the majority of their candy bags in to the bowl, we recycled alot of candy. Nicole went with her friends and Stoney took Haley and Arthur and the neighbor boys through the rest of the neighborhood.

9 comments:

Allison said...

Adorable costumes!!! You can totally pull off Lois Lane!! Arthurs mummy costume looks awesome! So impressive!

Peck Family said...

so cute. glad to hear you still have chad. your kids look great. thanks for the costume bag. hannah wore the first costume you made....the bumble bee. she looked cute. when are we going to see you next. seems like it has been forever.love you rachel

The Best of Friends! said...

Cute costumes. how creative

Claire said...

I am so glad that you posted some pictures. It has been so long since I have seen your smiling faces. When did you dye your hair brown? Love all the costumes!

Alison said...

Love all the costumes. You make a great Lois Lane!!

Your kids are darling!!! And getting so big...

Chelle said...

Sally! I am so glad that you found me! It was so fun for me to catch up on what is going on with your cute little family. Awesome job on the Halloween costumes--you guys are so cool! I've been such a dud lately--I used to love dressing up and now I never take the time to actually come up with a clever costume. So I'm going to add you to my list of friends, if that's okay, so that I can keep tabs on you--I was excited to see that you're thinking about a #5!
love, Michelle

hendywow said...

You look good as a brunette!I can't get over how big your babies are getting! & You guys have some serious skills in pumpkin carving!

hendywow said...

You look good as a brunette!I can't get over how big your babies are getting! & You guys have some serious skills in pumpkin carving!

Unknown said...

Hey Sally~

I haven't seen you in so many years! I've loved reading your blog, and seeing the pics of all your family - you have gorgeous kids, nieces, nephews, siblings - sheesh, the list goes on and on.

All the Macks are descending upon Thatcher for Thanksgiving this year, and Becky's taking some family pics for us. Brenda forwarded her blog, so then I started blog-hopping. LOVE seeing everybody. Hope all is well.

Kristin (Mack)